TO RETURN TO ANDREA'S WEB SITE, CLICK HERE: www.andreaboeshaar.com

Friday, June 17, 2011

Who's Your Hero?

I’m beginning a Beth Moore Bible study in which she asks: Did you ever have a hero?



I had to think about the question for a while and realized that, no, I never had a hero. Not a real live hero. As a little girl, I adored Mighty Mouse --- “Here I come to save the day!"

But I never put my faith in any human being. I guess I learned early in life that humans failed me. They made me promises and didn’t deliver. No earthly being was ever worthy of my complete trust and dependence.



In high school when my peers were idolizing coaches, boyfriends, and girlfriends, my belief that humans are fallible became solidified in my mind. I saw my parents’ struggles in their roles and with each other. Girlfriends I trusted betrayed me. Boyfriends disappointed me. Teachers and coaches all discouraged me at some point or another. No heroes there.

Sad…or is it?

When I was confronted with the message of the gospel, God’s spirit told me that His Son, Jesus Christ is the Truth, the Way, and the Life. I could trust Him – and I did. But if I’d had a hero worship of another fallible human being, I might have been confused. Perhaps I wouldn’t have believed.

No one is perfect, as the old cliché goes. For this reason I write my main male characters – the “heroes” in my stories – with flaws. They aren’t perfect. Some aren’t even Christians in the beginning of my books. Captain Brian Sinclair comes to mind. He’s a commanding character in Uncertain Heart and the “hero” in Unexpected Love. But even as a believer, he makes mistakes. Big ones, such as believing the end justifies the means. He soon comes to realize deception is never an acceptable trait.

I think it’s important for my readers to connect with my characters, the heroes and the heroines, along with secondary characters, and recognize their humanness. In doing so, readers may discover the true Hero and Lover of our souls. The One who impacts all of our eternities, Jesus Christ.

So now I"m asking you -- who's your hero? Did you ever have one? Who is it and why?

12 comments:

Terry Burns said...

Roy Rogers, always has been. A fine Christian man who cared more about being a role model for kids than he ever did about being a movie star.

Lena Nelson Dooley said...

My husband of almost 47 years is my real life hero. Yes, we've walked through problems. Serious ones. But he's always been there for me--as a husband, a marvelous father for my children, and a man who loves serving other people in the name of the Lord.

Kym McNabney said...

I guess I would have to say Mr Brady. I'm a HUGE fan of The Brady Bunch. Love everything about their family.

Christine Lindsay said...

My hero is my husband. I came from a disfunctional family caused by my father being an alcoholic. God used my husband to bring so much healing into my life. My husband is the inspiration behind my hero in my debut novel, Shadowed in Silk. While the plot is different from my real life, the attitudes of my Major Geoff Richards are that of my true-life hubby.

LoRee Peery said...

My heroes have changed over the years. When I first started reading novels, they were the cowboys in Zane Grey stories. Then I fell in love with Rhett Butler. As a teen it was Superman in the TV series. I met Jesus as an adult, the only perfect hero. In recent years, I think my hero is my son, for choosing to be father to a special needs daughter.

Andrea said...

Christine, my background is similiar to yours. I love and adore my husband but even he agreed he's not my "hero." (I think he's just humble. )

Julie Lessman said...

Fun topic, Andrea!! Right off the bat, I would have to say Margaret Mitchell because her epic novel Gone With the Wind inspired me to write. After reading that novel at the age of twelve, I immediately sat down and began typing 150 single-spaced pages of what would become my debut novel some forty years later, A Passion Most Pure. Wouldn't be doing what I love today if it wasn't for her (and God, of course!).

Hugs,
Julie

Debby Lee said...

Hello Andrea, okay, I know this may sound corny, on the eve of Father's Day, but me hero is my Dad. Back in the early 1980's when I was growing up, my Dad was a single parent. Not a lot of guys stepped up to the plate in that day and age to single-handedly care for thier children. But my Dad did. I wish I could say he did a perfect job, but he didn't. All the same, his actions alone told us he loved us enough to care for us when so many other guys out there wouldn't have bothered. He's my hero.

Bonnie Leon said...

I have a list, but one stands out above all others -- my father. He was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was 47. The doctors told him they couldn't save his life but could give him maybe two more years. My father chose the two years and got six. And in all those years, he continued to live full out. He relished life and enjoyed ever minute he was given. He never complained,, he loved his family and he never missed a day of work until the last six months of his life. He taught me how to live even when we're dying.

He was the finest man I've ever known.

Eva Marie Everson said...

My mother. If I could be a sliver of her example of grace and faith under fire, I'd be much further ahead than I am right now.

My father. If I could be a sliver of his example of giving, giving, giving and street smarts and rising out of the ashes (literally), I'd be much further ahead than I am right now.

wellady said...

My husband of 12 years comes to my mind immediately because he married me and has given me a Jesus-like example to live by, and with. What a joy, undeserved and hilarious in contrast to my colorful past (before I started over with Jesus Christ as my Redeemer 16 years ago.) Thank God for men like my husband who have a heart to serve the Lord and be a blessing and provide for imperfect wives.

replica rolex said...

The Doxa Sub 200 fake Audemars Piguet is available in a range of colorways, from the classic orange “Professional” to the turquoise fake IWC “Aquamarine.” I’m reviewing what is, undoubtedly, the most conservative colorway of the bunch, the black-dialed “Sharkhunter.” The model fake Franck Muller name is something of a misnomer considering that Doxa Watches are advocates for shark conservation fake Vacheron Constantin (see their co-branded SUB 1200T Project Aware). Though the black and cream colorway may be conservative in the SUB 200 lineup, this vintage diver is in no way lacking fake rolex in personality or charm.